Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Blood Wedding #4

Well the first, and most obvious symbol in act one of Blood Wedding is the knife. Like we talked about in class today, the knife is clearly as symbol for death. I also think it could be seen as a symbol for severing or tearing a life apart, like a serrated blade. This is because the murder of the Groom's brother and father was done by a knife and that tore their family apart emotionally. Also, at the end of the story it takes two more men from their respective families, so basing it off of those two events the knife could be seen as a symbol for separation. Another symbol I saw in the first act was the vineyard. To me personally I see a vineyard as a place of growth and life and as a source of money by selling wine. In the book, it also represents that, especially in the first act but in act two, I saw it turning into more of a symbol for decay, since the bride's father's vineyard was somewhat shabby. The symbol of the vineyard throughout the book serves as a small foreshadowing if it is seen as representing decay, and that in turn sets up the rest of the story.

3 comments:

  1. I like your thoughts on the vineyard. Maybe look into why it is seen as a place of growth and later shown as decay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also looked at the vineyards and knives as symbols in this play. On top of what you said, I think that Lorca includes the vineyard in his play to display wealth, and the knife represents the divide or separation between the rich and poor, which he shows through the Bride and Bridegroom's families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, you know, I really didn't realize before you mentioned it that the neighbor's arms were cut off by BLADES, which relates to the symbol of knives... Tricky Lorca!

    ReplyDelete